A podcast is a series of audio files that can be broadcast in a daily or weekly basis for others to hear. Creating a podcast is interesting and simple and here is a step by step illustration of how to go about it.
At the outset, you may need a web site or blog where you can post the podcast, all the requisite audio editing and recording software and a reliable internet connection for doing podcasting.
1) The first step would be to choose a podcast topic: Make sure that the topic is of contemporary relevance or something that is of interest to the viewers.
2) Frequency: How many times do you wish to do the podcasting would largely depend on the type of podcast. Thus if you are planning to do a news based podcast, it can be published on a daily basis while a story-based podcast could be published weekly.
3) Script: Make sure to write out what you plan to say in your podcast as it will ensure that you are not missing out any vital points. It would also make the podcast sound well rehearsed and professional without any unsavory distortions and interruptions, which can spoil the fun of podcasting for both you and the audience as well.
4) Record your audio file. Choose a simple audio recording software like Audacity that is easy to comprehend and use. In case you are not a computer professional, it is better not to opt for high end recording software, which takes a lot of time and effort to understand and apply.
5) Convert your audio file to MP3 format. The audio recording software will be saving it in its prescribed format and you should export it into MP3 format so that the users can easily open the file and listen to it.
6) Once it is converted into MP3 you need to upload it into the server.
7) If you do not have a blog posts, it is the time to create one where you can publish the podcast.
Tips to remember
- The users can only hear your voice and not the person behind it. So make sure to make it lively and interesting with the right sound modulations and effects. Your topic of podcast should be something that you can talk effortlessly and passionately so that the users find it captivating.
- If your podcast is short that extends to 5-10 minutes you can easily accommodate more than 1 podcasts at a time. You can create all the podcasts for the week in a few hours, which will save you a lot of effort and time.
- Some audio editing software might require you to have an MP3 Encoder to convert your audio file to MP3 format. Refer the manual for the right instructions on converters.
- The podcast should be uploaded in web server in binary format to make sure that the file is not corrupted.
- Before publishing the podcast, make doubly sure that the MP3 file link is working fine and pointing to the correct file.